While the actual town of Advancetown has been consigned to a watery grave under the Hinze Dam, the name stays alive with our licensed establishment, the Advancetown Hotel.
Records show what a thriving community existed. Old-time residents can remember the local grocery store, butcher shop and a blacksmith, and the packhorse mail which travelled up and down to Nerang three times a week. Most of all they remember the bullock teams that were are a part of the area’s colourful heritage.
Semi-nomadic Aborigines were the original inhabitants of the Advancetown area. When the first timber cutters arrived in the late 1870s, they learned from these remarkable people something of the essentials of bush survival.
Settlement began in 1881 when David Yuan built a saw mill at Pine Mountain. In that year, Ernest Belliss and members of the Guinea family were amongst other settlers in the area.
In 1884 the first Hotel was built on the site of the present picnic park by W.H. Turner. He named the new establishment the Beechmont Hotel with the first licence issued in 1905. When Ernest Belliss became the owner in 1918, he changed the name to Advancetown Hotel and that is how the district received its name.
Other notable licensees include Henrietta Free (1929-34), Tom Iredale (1935-39) and Margaret Bruce (1959-74), who held it for the longest period in the Hotel’s history.
In 1975, Gold Coast racehorse trainer Cliff Sims and former Australian rugby league player Peter Gallagher spent $350,000 on a new “pioneer pub on an elevated site”. They officially opened this Hotel in August 1976.